junct Professor, Department of Agriculture, Food, Nutritional Sciences, University of Alberta
The overarching goal of my research program is to optimize weed management in agricultural systems. To achieve this, our research aims both to improve our understanding of the basic biological and ecological principles that govern weed population dynamics and to develop highly efficacious weed control technologies. To accomplish this, we conduct both basic and applied research in the following areas:
- Evaluation of new and existing herbicides in field crops
- Integrated weed management
- Biological and ecological constraints on weed population and community dynamics
- Plant interactions (competition and cooperation) and their role in weed population dynamics
- Predation of weed seeds in the agroecosystem
Areas of specialization
- Weed Biology
- Weed Ecology
- Weed Management
B.Sc., University of Saskatchewan, 2002, Department of Plant Sciences, Agronomy
M.Sc., University of Saskatchewan, 2005, Department of Plant Sciences, Weed Science
Ph.D., University of Manitoba, 2009, Department of Plant Science, Weed Science
Selected Recent Publications
Kulkarni, S.S., L.M. Dosdall, J.R. Spence, and C.J. Willenborg. 2016. Brassicaceous weed seed predation by ground beetles (Coleoptera: Carabidae). Weed Science 64:294-302.
Jacob, C.E., E.N. Johnson, M.F. Dyck, and C.J. Willenborg. 2016. Evaluating the competitive ability of semi-leafless field pea cultivars. Weed Science 64:137-145.
Tozzi, E., K.N. Harker, R.E. Blackshaw, J.T. O’Donovan, S.S. Strelkov, and C.J. Willenborg. 2016. Response of glufosinate-resistant canola to late applications of glufosinate. Agronomy Journal 108:358-364.
Kulkarni, S.S., L.M. Dosdall, J.R. Spence, and C.J. Willenborg. 2015. Depth of seed burial and gender influence weed seed predation by three species of ground beetle (Coleoptera: Carabidae). Weed Science 63:910-915.
Darras, S., R.H. McKenzie, M.A. Olson, and C.J. Willenborg. 2015. Influence of genotypic mixtures on field pea yield and competitive ability. Canadian Journal of Plant Science 95:315-324.
2014. Dean’s Excellence in Teaching Award, for outstanding teaching in the College of Agriculture and Bioresources, University of Saskatchewan.
2015. Dean’s New Researcher Award of Excellence, College of Agriculture and Bioresources, University of Saskatchewan.
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC)
- Saskatchewan Agriculture Development Fund
- Western Grains Research Foundation
- Saskatchewan Canola Development Commission
- Alberta Pulse Growers
- Saskatchewan Pulse Growers
- Canadian Agriculture Adaptation Program
- Government of Canada Growing Forward Science Cluster Funding
- Saskatchewan Oat Development Commission
- Saskatchewan Flax Growers Commission
PLSC 345 Pesticides and Crop Protection
AGRN 375 Current Issues in Agronomy
PLSC 898 Applied Weed Science
PLSC 898 Advanced Weed Science