- Stripe rust of wheat
- Leaf spot diseases of wheat Barley and oat
- Fusarium wilt of flax
Northern Sales Co. Ltd. – Agronomist, 1980-1982; 1984-1986
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, Regina, Postdoctoral Fellow – 1994-1996
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, Melfort, SK, Research Scientist, 1996-2011
Plant Sciences, Crop Development Centre
- mitigation of cereal and flax diseases using integrated pest management (IPM) solutions
- stripe rust and fusarium head blight of wheat
- crown rust of oat
- pasmo and fusarium wilt of flax
Brar, G.S. and H.R. Kutcher. 2016. Race characterization of Puccinia striiformis f. sp. tritici, the cause of wheat stripe rust, in southern Alberta and Saskatchewan, Canada and virulence comparison with races from the USA. Plant Dis. 100(8): 1744-1753. http://dx.doi.org/10.1094/PDIS-12-15-1410-RE
Cholango Martinez, L.P., X. Zhang, P. Hucl, and H.R. Kutcher. 2016. First report of Fusarium head blight, caused by Fusarium graminearum on annual canarygrass (Phalaris canariensis) in Saskatchewan, Canada. Plant Dis. 100(8): 1780. http://dx.doi.org/10.1094/PDIS-01-16-0115-PDN
Beres, B.L., T.K. Turkington, H.R. Kutcher, B. Irvine, E.N. Johnson, J.T. O’Donovan, K.N. Harker, C.B. Holzapfel, R. Mohr, G. Peng and D.M. Spanner. 2016. Winter wheat cropping system response to seed treatments, seed size and sowing density. Agron. J. 108(3): 1101-1111 doi:10.2134/agronj2015.0497.
Turkington, T.K., O’Donovan, J.T., Harker, K.N., Xi, Blackshaw, R.E., Johnson, E.N., Peng, G., Kutcher, H.R., May, W. E., Lafond, G. P., Mohr, R., and Irvine, R.B. 2015. The impact of fungicide and herbicide timing on foliar disease severity, and barley productivity and quality. Can. J. Plant Sci. 95: 525-537.
Kutcher, H.R., S.A. Brandt, E.G. Smith, D. Ulrich, S.S. Malhi and A.M Johnston. 2013. Blackleg disease of canola mitigated by resistant cultivars and four-year crop rotations in western Canada. Can. J. Plant Pathol. 35: 209-221.
- Agriculture Development Fund (Saskatchewan Ministry of Agriculture)
- Western Grains Research Foundation; SaskWheat
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council
- Saskatchewan Oat Development Commission; SaskFlax
- Ducks Unlimited; Growing Forward 2 (Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada)
- Bayer Crop Science
- PLSC 335.3: Field Crop Disease Management/Integrated Pest Management