- Quality and processsing of meat and meat products
- Protein functionality and gelation
- Utilization of pulses in meat processing
Food and Bioproduct Sciences
- Rheological properties of meat protein gels
- Protein functionality in muscle foods (pork, beef, poultry)
- Postmortem tenderization strategies, with emphasis on mature beef
- Value-added processing of meats
- Quality and processing of PSE pork and poultry
- Efficacy of pulses and barley in meat systems
- Effects of transportation on poultry meat quality
- Ph.D., Colorado State University, U.S.A.
- M.Sc., University of Alberta
- B.H.Ec., University of Manitoba
Mena, B., Fang, Z., Ashman, H., Hutchings, S., Ha, M., Shand, P. J. and Warner, R. D. 2020. Influence of cooking method, fat content and food additives on physicochemical and nutritional properties of beef meatballs fortified with sugarcane fibre. International Journal of Food Science and Technology 55 (6), 2381-2390.
Bekele, E. K., Nosworthy, M.G., Henry, C.J., Shand, P.J. and Tyler, R.T. 2020. Oxidative stability of direct-expanded chickpea-sorghum snacks. Food Science and Nutrition 8:4340-435.
Soladoye*, O.P., Prieto, N., Lopez-Campos, O., Aalhus, J.L., Uttaro, B., Roberts, J.C., Larsen, I., Shand, P., Gariepy, C and Juarez, M. 2018. Potential of near infrared (NIR) spectroscopy and dual energy X-ray absorptiometry (DXA) in predicting pork belly softness. Meat Science 142 (1):1-4. *Ph.D. student
Podder, R., Khan, S.M., Tar’an, B., Tyler, R.T., Henry, C.J., Jalal, C., Shand, P.J. and Vandenberg, A. 2018. Sensory acceptability of iron-fortified red lentil (Lens culinaris medik.) dal. Journal of Food Science 83(3):804-813.
Napper, S. Dadgar*, S., Arsenaut, R.J., Trost, B., Scruten, E., Kusalik, A. and Shand, P. 2015. Induction of tissue-and stressor-specific kinomic responses in chickens exposed to hot and cold stresses. Poultry Science. 94 (6): 1333-1345 *postdoctoral fellow
Pathiratne*, S., Shand, P.J., Pickard, M. and Wanasundara, J.P.D. 2015. Generating functional property variation in lentil (Lens culinaris) flour by seed micronization: effects of seed moisture level and surface temperature. Food Research International 76:122-131. (Special issue on Grain legumes – Science, Technology and Impacts on Human Health.) *M.Sc. student
Amat, S., McKinnon, J.J., Olkowski, A.A., Penner, G.B., Simko, E., Shand, P.J. and Hendrick, S. 2013. Understanding the role of sulfur-thiamine interaction in the pathogenesis of sulfur-induced polioencephalomalacia in beef cattle. Research in Veterinary Science. 95: 1081-1087.
Marambe*, H., Shand, P.J. and Wansundara, J.P.D. 2012. In vitro digestibility of flaxseed (Linum usitatissimum L.) protein: effect of seed mucilage, oil and thermal processing. International Journal of Food Science and Technology 48:628-635 *Ph.D. student
Burlinguette, N.A., Strawford, M.L., Watts, J. M., Classen, H. L., Shand, P.J. and Crowe, T.G. 2012. Broiler trailer thermal conditions during cold climate transport. Canadian Journal of Animal Science. 92: 109-122.
Selected as one of the top 100 graduates from the first 100 years of the College of Home Economics/Human Ecology, University of Manitoba, September, 2010.
- AGRC 112 Agricultural Science II
- FABS 210 Dimensions of Food Science
- FABS 457 Meat Science and Technology
- FABS 486 Sensory Evaluation of Food
- FD SC 842 Advanced Meat Science