- Nitrogen fixing plants in cropping systems
- Selection of rhizobial strains for legume species
Diane is a Saskatchewan Ministry of Agriculture co-chair of the Strategic Research Program (SRP) in Soil Biological Processes. The overall focus of the program is to develop innovative solutions to the problems facing today’s producers—focusing on biological aspects of the soil/water/plant continuum as they relate to nutrient cycling and the efficient use of nutrients by plants.
Areas of specialization
- Nitrogen movement, turnover, availability and efficiency of use by crops in rotation
- stable isotopes (13C and 15N)
- nitrogen fixation
- selection of rhizobial strains for legume species new to Saskatchewan agriculture
- carrier development for rhizobia
- Ph.D., University of Saskatchewan
- M.Sc., University of Saskatchewan
- B.Sc., University of Calgary
J.D. Knight, A.J. Cessna, D. Ngombe and T.M. Wolfe. 2016. Mineralisation and degradation of 2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid dimethylamine salt in a biobed matrix and in topsoil. Pesticide Management Science. Accepted for publication, 28 January 2016. [AAFC]
J.D. Knight. 2015. Delayed inoculation of alfalfa with Sinorhizobium meliloti and Penicillium bilaiae. Canadian Journal of Plant Science 95: 205-211. [SMA]
N. Bazghaleh, C. Hamel, Y. Gan, B. Tar’an and J.D. Knight. 2015. Genotype-specific variation in the structure of root fungal communities is related to chickpea plant productivity. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 81: 2368-2377. [AAFC]
G. Issah, A.A. Kimaro, J. Kort and J. D. Knight. 2015. Nitrogen transfer to forage crops from a caragana shelterbelt. Forests 6: 1922-1932. [AAFC]
M.M. Arcand, J.D. Knight and R.E. Farrell. 2014. Differentiating between the supply of N to wheat from above and belowground residues of preceding crops of pea and canola. Biology and Fertility of Soils 50: 563-570.
P. Leinweber, J. Kruse, C. Baum, M.M. Arcand, J.D. Knight, R. Farrell, K. Eckhardt, K. Kiersch, and G. Jandl. 2013. Advances in Understanding Organic Nitrogen Chemistry in Soils Using State-of-the-art Analytical Techniques, In: D. Sparks (Ed.), Advances in Agronomy 119: 83-151.
- Soil Science 492
- Soil Science 494
- Environmental Science 492
- Environmental Science 494
- Soil Science 808 - Stable Isotope Applications in Soil Science
- Soil Science 990 - Soil Science Seminar