- Breeding and Genetics of Forage Crop Plants for the adaption to the Prairie region of western Canada.
Plant Sciences, Crop Development Centre
Associate Editor Canadian Journal of Plant Science
Western Director, Canadian Society of Agronomy
Ph.D. (University of Saskatchewan, SK)
MSc. (Inner Mongolia Agriculture University, Inner Mongolia, China)
B.Sc. (Inner Mongolia Agriculture University, Inner Mongolia, China)
Selected Recent Publications
S. Bhattarai, B. Coulman, B. Biligetu (2016). Sainfoin (Onobrychis viciifolia Scop.): Renewed interest as a forage legume for western Canada, Can. J. Plant Sci. (In press) (Review)
Schellenberg, M. P. and B. Biligetu (2015). The effects of temperature and scarification on seed germination of three Dalea species. Can. J. Plant Sci. 95: 1117-1120.
B. Biligetu, P. Jefferson, R. Muri, M. Schellenberg. (2014) Forage yield, nutritive value and persistence in a binary mixture of warm- and cool- grasses with legume species. Can. J. Plant Sci. 94: 1139-1148.
B. Biligetu, M. P. Schellenberg, Y. B. Fu. (2013) Detecting genetic diversity of side-oats grama grass populations using AFLP Marker. Can. J. Plant Sci. 93: 1105-1114.
B. Biligetu, M. P. Schellenberg, G.J. McLeod, Z. Wang (2013) Seed yield variation in plain rough fescue grass (Festuca hallii (Vasey) Piper) populations and its relation with phenotypic characteristics and environmental factors. Grass and Forage Sci. 68 (4) 589–595.
Funding has been provided from (in alphabetical order):
- Agriculture Development Fund of Saskatchewa
- Agriculture-and Agri-Food Canada
- Alberta Beef Producers, Beef Cattle Research Council
- Saskatchewan Forage Network
- Saskatchewan Forage Seed Development Commission
- Saskatchewan Pulse Growers
- Western Grains Research Foundation
PLSC 418 Management of Arable Grassland