About the Conference
The Soils and Crops Workshop began in 1965 and has been offered annually for over 50 years. The annual workshop is a two day event presenting updates on current research being conducted in the areas of soils, crops and economics by researchers, faculty and graduate students from across western Canada. The second day offers a workshop based on invited presentations designed to provide in-depth training on a variety of topics emphasizing agronomy.
The Saskatchewan Institute of Agrologists (SIA) and the Certified Crop Advisor (CCA) program recognize this event as a professional development opportunity.
Graduate Student Oral and Poster Award Competitions
Each year sponsored monetary awards are presented to Graduate Students for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place overall best oral presentation and 1st, 2nd and 3rd overall best poster presentations.
Many thanks to Nutrien for sponsoring the 2021 oral and poster presentation awards.
Graduate Student Travel Award
In lieu of the travel restrictions currently in place due to COVID 19, we will be offering five Presentation Awards (valued at $250 each) to graduate students who are studying outside of the Province of Saskatchewan.
Congratulations to our 2021 out of town winners:
Umesh Acharya, North Dakota State University, USA
Evan Craine, Washington State University, USA
Cole Gross, University of Alberta, Edmonton AB, Canada
Sasha Loewen, Montana State University, USA
Karansher Sandhu, Washington State University, USA
This award is sponsored by the Saskatchewan Institute of Agrologists.
Past Agronomy Workshop Themes
The addition of an Agronomy workshop was added to the Soils and Crops Agenda in 2009. The themes for the Agronomy workshops have been as follows:
- 2009 Pesticide Resistance Workshop (Chair: Tom Jensen)
- 2010 Soil and Water (Chair: Tom Jensen)
- 2011 Crop Establishment (Chair: Sherrilyn Phelps)
- 2012 Nutrient Management (Chair: Patrick Moolecki)
- 2013 Canola Agronomy (Chair: Trish Meyers)
- 2014 Emerging Crops (Chair: Lyle Cowell)
- 2015 Plant Disease Issues on the Prairies (Chair: Randy Kutcher)
- 2016 Pests and Pulses (Chair: Erin Campbell)
- 2017 Retooling the Ag Diagnostics Toolbox (Chair: Ryan Hangs)
- 2018 Soil-What's in the Horizon? (Chair: Scott Anderson
- 2019 Mind Your P...Bring Your Q's, Northern Great Plains 4R Fertilizer P Management Symposium (Chair: Joel Peru)
- 2020 “Cutting through the BS (Biological Stress): Understanding the insects, pathogens, and weeds pestering crop production” (Chair: Melissa Arcand)
- 2021 The ABC's of Abiotic Stress (Chair: Sara Limmerach)