Agricultural and Resource Economics
The primary focus of my research is the application of contract theory and models of industrial organization to problems of agricultural risk management and rural development. My existing research focuses on how agricultural households manage risk to achieve their goals of sustainable development and food security. Complementing and expanding upon this, my recent research investigates the use of contracts in agriculture and estimates the impact of new technology on household welfare and health outcomes. These topics combine to reveal policy relevant insights about agricultural management practices in an uncertain environment.
Areas of specialization
- Contract theory
- Applied econometrics
- Agricultural risk
- Technology adoption
- International development
- Ph.D. (Agricultural Economics), Purdue University, U.S.A.
- M.A. (Economics), New School for Social Research, U.S.A.
- M.A. (Theology), St. Vladimir’s Orthodox Theological Seminary, U.S.A.
- B.A. (Economics and History), Bethel University, U.S.A.
Barriga Cabanillas, O., Michler, J.D., Michuda, A., and Tjernström, E. 2018. Fitting and interpreting correlated random-coefficient models using Stata. Stata Journal, 18(1): 159-173.
Michler, J.D. and Josephson, A.L. 2017. To Specialize or Diversify: Agricultural Diversity and Poverty Dynamics in Ethiopia. World Development, 89: 214-226. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.worlddev.2016.08.011
Michler, J.D. and Balagtas, J.V. 2017. The importance of the savings device in precautionary savings: Empirical evidence from rural Bangladesh. Agricultural Economics, 48(2): 129-141. https://doi.org/10.1111/agec.12320
Verkaart, S., Munyua, B., Mausch, K., and Michler, J.D. 2017. Welfare impacts of improved chickpea adoption: A pathway for rural development in Ethiopia? Food Policy, 66: 50-61. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodpol.2016.11.007
Michler, J.D. and Shively, G. 2015. Land tenure, tenure security and farm efficiency: Panel evidence from the Philippines. Journal of Agricultural Economics, 66(1): 155-169. https://doi.org/10.1111/1477-9552.12082
- U.S. Borlaug Fellowship in Global Food Security
- International Rice Congress’ Young Rice Scientist Award
- D. Thomas Woods Memorial Fund for International Studies
- Frederick N. Andrews Fellowship
- Standing Panel of Impact Assessment (SPIA) for the CGIAR
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
- University of Illinois ACES International Joint Research Program
- Purdue Research Foundation
- AREC 272 – Introduction to Agricultural Economics