2016 Event - May 13, 2016
8:30 – 8:50 Poster set-up (Walkway between Engineering & Agriculture, 2nd Floor)
8:50 – 9:00 Opening remarks
9:00 – 10:00
Eduardo Mitter – APMC “Structure of Root Associated Bacterial Communities in Oil Sands Reclamation Covers”
Seon Hwa Kim – APMC “Prevention and Control of Mycotoxins Emerging Strategies for Food Security”
Deeksha Shetty – APMC “The Role of the Extra Cytoplasmic Stress Response in Salmonella Antimicrobial Resistance”
10:00 – 10:30 Break
10:30 – 11:10
Erin Hopkins – FDSC “Effects of Glucose Oxidase and Organic Acids on the Properties of Model Low Sodium Dough Prepared with Harvest and Pembina CWRS”
Xi Xie – FDSC “Functional Analysis of Ketosynthase Domains from a Polyunsaturated Fatty Acid Synthase of Thraustochytrium in Escherichia coli”
11:10 – 12:00
Invited Speaker: Mike Ingledew A Career Studying Yeasts’ Ability to Make Ethanol – for Beverages and for Cars
12:00 pm – 1:30 pm Lunch (room 3E21 Agriculture)
Poster Session (Walkway to Engineering, 2nd Floor)
1:30 – 2:30
Jamie Willems – FDSC “Analysis of a Series of Chlorogenic Acid Isomers by Ion Mobility and Tandem Mass Spectrometry”
Chang Chang – FDSC “Microencapsulation of Canola Oil by Spray Drying using Simple and Complex Lentil Protein Isolate-based Wall Materials.
Zoe Gillespie – FDSC “The Impact of Rapamycin Mediated Disrupted Nutrient Sensing on Genome Function”
2:30 – 3:00 Break
3:00 – 3:40
Jin Wang – FDSC “Potential DNA Markers for Screening of Varroa-tolerant Honeybee Colony”
Olugbenga Philip Soladoye – FDSC “Pork Belly Softness and Bacon Yield: Possible Impact of Inherent Factors”
3:40 – 4:30
Invited Speaker: Zachery Belak From Academia to Industry: There and Back Again.
Presentation of awards and concluding remarks (Phyllis Shand, Dep’t Head)
- Mike Ingledew: Grad Student Day 2016 - A career studying yeasts' ability to make ethanol - for beverages and for cars
- Zachary Belak: From Academia to Industry: There and Back Again
- Chang Chang, Ph.D. candidate: "Microencapsulation of canola oil by spray drying using simple and complex lentil protein isolate-based wall materials"
- Deeksha Shetty, M.Sc. candidate: "The Role of the Extra Cytoplasmic Stress Response in Salmonella Antimicrobial Resistance"
- Eduardo Mitter, Ph.D. candidate: "Bacterial endophytes of plants used for soil reclamation"
- Erin Hopkins, Ph.D. candidate: "
- Jamie Willems, Ph.D. candidate: "Analysis of a series of chlorogenic acid isomers using ion mobility tandem mass spectrometry"
- Soladoye Olugbenga Philip, Ph.D. candidate: "Pork belly softness and bacon yield: Possible impacts of inherent factors"
- Seon Hwa Kim, Ph.D. candidate: "Prevention and Control of Mycotoxins Emerging Strategies for Food Security"
- Xi Xie, Ph.D. candidate: "Ketoacylsynthase domains of a PUFA synthase in Thraustochytrium can function as standalone enzymes in Escherichia coli"
- Zoe Gillespie, M.Sc. candidate: "The Impact of Rapamycin Mediated Disruption of Nutrient Sensing on Genome Function"